Monday, June 4, 2012

The first days of summer break

During these first days of summer break I have been doing a lot of reading and writing...for my master's classes. Being me I have still squeezed in quite a bit of reading. My goal this summer is to read all of the Sequoyah nominees(in case I get the LMS job) and to read a variety of books that I bought for my class library. I have always tried to read everything that I make available to my kids. So I will be either crazy or cross eyed if I get the LMS job since I don't think I can read them all!!

Anyway--for the Sequoyah I read Black Elk's Vision- A Lakota Story by S.D. Nelson. I enjoyed it but even for my fifth graders I think it should be a teacher read aloud. It provides lots of places to jump into content from Native American perspectives, to Westward Expansion, to habitats. Students will have to use inferencing to get the most from this story.

From my class library list I read All the Lovely Bad Ones by Mary Downing Hahn and Earthquake Terror by Peg Kehret. I have read other novels by both of these writers and was not disappointed. Many of my kids had already read All the Lovely Bad Ones and some had it read to them when they were third graders by their teacher(my daughter-Andrea). I read The Doll in the Garden when Andrea was a fifth grader and checked it out from her school library. What a circle! I also enjoyed the Kehret story--my new interest in survivalism got a charge from this story.

Lastly I read A Woman's Place by Barbara Delinsky. This is definitely an adult book with probably to many connections to my own life. A coworker gave it to me to read. Hmmm she read me like a book! She said there was a WORD that was me!! Holy moly which word? Stubborn, independent, controlling, determined! I 'm still not sure if it's a complement or not! It was eye opening to say the least and gave me cause to ponder my life....yes, that makes it a good book!

go read a book!
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment